This red lentil quesadilla recipe is oh so tasty and quite the adventure to make. They are super simple until it becomes time to flip them on the stove and the secret to making that easy lies in the amount of oozy cheese that doubles as glue.
For this particular recipe I decided to go easy on the cheese this time, but future quesadillas must watch out. It’s also a fairly cheap way to have a protein filled meal and the kids will love them.
The lentils can be pre-soaked for quicker cooking time and easier digestion or you could replace them with a tin or two of lentils for a quick tasty dinner full of protein. The lentils are then mixed with fried onion, garlic, diced tomatoes, cumin, a tiny sprinkle of cayenne pepper and paprika until combined in the fry pan.
Please take note of how well behaved I was with the cheese? Thank you, thank you. Now the the folding fun can begin! Once all your quesadillas are folded, lightly fry in a fry pan over medium heat with a tiny tiny bit of oil until the tortilla browns and the cheese melts. If your wraps are normal-sized you can usually fit two in a pan at once, but if you’ve gone for giant tortillas – go you – it may prove to be a struggle. No larger than a dinner plate, and you’ll be fine.
The quesadillas need 2-3 minutes on each side to become crispy and hot and gooey inside. I used a griddle pan with grill marks to get the ‘charred line’ effect. It’s purely aesthetic, but seeing as I don’t have a BBQ it makes me feel like I can still be a master griller.
The dippy sauce this time was a pesto-yoghurt sauce but this is equally as delicious with sour cream.
Are you a quesadilla fan?
Have a wonderful day, Bec x
Red Lentil Quesadillas
- 4 wraps - 2 per person eating
- 1 brown onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 x 400gm can diced tomatoes
- 400 gm lentils tinned or pre cooked
- teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or chilli
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper
For the sauce
- 1/2 cup greek yoghurt
- teaspoon lemon juice
- tablespoon pesto
- salt and pepper
- Fry your onion and garlic over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until translucent and fragrant.
- Add the lentils and tinned tomatoes, stir to combine.
- Add the spices and salt and pepper and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and start to prepare your quesadillas.
- To prepare, spread the lentil mixture on half the wrap, then sprinkle in cheese and fold in half.
- Once 2 quesadillas have been folded, gently transfer to a fry pan and fry over low heat until crispy and browned. Repeat for remaining quesadillas.
- For the sauce, combine and set aside until ready to eat.