All I seem to crave in Winter is pasta.. and yes I realised this post is straight after a review of an Italian restaurant but come on.. pasta <3 Over the past few weeks pasta and I have had quite some fun times, however I needed to lay off the cheesey bechamel sauces and pasta bakes (somehow extra cheese always gets involved!).
Giving up the idea of pasta entirely for a while seemed to hard.. and then I had a green idea. No cheese, just green. Pea and Spinach pesto pasta was the perfect compromise. Body gets green, dinner is simple and I still get delicious pasta. Win win yeah?
I had a huge bunch of beautiful big deep green English Spinach left over in my fridge, and I knew exactly how I could sneak the whole bunch into a delicious meal for Jackson and I. Bright green pesto pasta sauce. Jackson is a sucker for pesto, I am a sucker for pesto and I had recently bought some fancy pasta called Casarecce that is a Sicilian pasta, by Wikipedia description, Short lengths rolled into a S shape and recommended for dishes with eggplant, ricotta or BASIL!
The meal is fairly simple to make it you have a food processor and equally as delicious if you don’t, but will be a little more chunky with chopped up spinach and whole peas.
A few years ago a good friend and I were travelling around Europe and found ourselves on the west coast of Italy, at an amazing part of our world named Cinque Terre.
This was a time before I was really into food.. I mean I enjoyed eating food and had my favourites but looking back, I can confidently say I wasn’t into food like I am now. I traveled to all these amazing places (France, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Spain) and whilst I remember enjoyed eating I wasn’t set on exploring the food culture of each place. Looking back, how blasphemous! In hindsight I would have devoted days and treks to eating at certain spots or cuisines.. I’ll just have to go back an eat my way around. Funny how your interests and passions can change.
I remember helping my friend buy her dad a jar of Pesto from Cinque Terre, an act so small back then I didn’t blink an eye.. I mean I knew he’d love it but that was the end of my thoughts and now I’d place this huge sentimental value on the jar of pesto and only use it at the most special of meals and annoy the heck out of my family who just wanted to eat it.
Anyway.. this meal is healthy, simple and so delicious even Puddy the cat wants some. If you’d like to see more of my friend staying with me my personal instagram has turned into a gallery of Puddy the cat.
Do you have any special food memories or meals you hold close?
Have wonderful day! Bec x
Pea and Spinach Pesto Casarecce
- 120 grams casarecce pasta or any pasta
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 cup spinach
- 3 tablespoons basil pesto
- 1 clove of garlic
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- lemon and parmesan cheese to serve if desired
- Place pasta in a pot of salted boiling water to cook and set aside
- In a food processor, blitz your peas, spinach and clove of garlic with a tablespoon of olive oil. If you don't have a food processor, you can bash, mash and chop.
- Once blitzed, mix the basil pesto through and season with salt and pepper.
- Set aside. Just before you remove pasta from the heat, collect half a mug of the pasta water. Do not throw this out - it's gold.
- Strain pasta and return to the pot. Mix through the pesto and add some of the reserved pasta water back to the pasta to loosen the sauce.
- Season with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper, parmesan and lemon if desired.