Yes, you read that right. I made a pizza base with 1 cup of greek yoghurt and 1 cup of self-raising flour. I have never made my own base before but saw this recipe and had to try it. The simplicity attracted me, and greek yoghurt is delicious so any experiments featuring the zingy creamy delight is fine by me.
I used to have the fear that making your own dough was hard (a fear which has since been resolved) but when I heard of a 2 step, 2 ingredient dough recipe which took 10 minutes, I was onto it!
2-step pizza dough w/ greek yoghurt and flour
Makes 1 medium-sized pizza to serve 1-2. For more pizzas, double the recipe.
- 1 cup greek yoghurt
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- Extra flour for dusting and rolling, 1/2 cup should work
- On a dusted surface, combine 1 cup greek yoghurt with 1 cup self-raising flour
- Knead on a floured bench for 6-8 minutes until a ball of dough has formed. If you need more flour to stop sticking, slowly sprinkle more until the dough has lost it’s stickiness.
- Dust dough with flour and roll into a pizza base with a rolling pin (or a round glass bottle – I used my olive oil bottle). Flour the rolling pin and roll dough out to a 1cm thick pizza base.
- Place on a pizza tray and start topping with your pizza stuff – it will take about 25-30 minutes in the oven to cook (providing its 1.5 – 2cm)
Yes – THAT IS ALL. It didn’t taste overly strong like greek yoghurt or anything – it was this really nice light tasty pizza base with a crunchy crust. You don’t get the fluffy air pockets like a regular pizza dough that’s been proving all day, but not bad for a 10-minute dough.
I topped mine with cherry and truss tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, pesto and some basil leaves.
I did want to try this hack partially because I didn’t believe for a second it would be that easy. I proved myself wrong and impressed myself at the same time (it sounds like I’m selling a magic bean?!)
At least try this, just for the novelty of making your own pizza base with greek yoghurt? Promise?
If you are after a lighter, crispier base I would recommend making my Moroccan spiced pizza w/ eggplant, rocket, lemon and yoghurt which is also delish.
Has anyone made this before? Or have any epic pizza topping combinations I should try?
Thank you for reading and have the most wonderful day!