As the weather warms up the BBQ comes out from hibernation and Aussie BBQ season is back on. Unofficially starting with the AFL Grand Final Weekend and running until at least March, you can almost guarantee you’ll be asked to ‘bring a salad’ at least once. If the majority of your friends are vegetarian, like mine, you can guarantee you’ll be asked at least three times.
This salad is just gorgeous, impressive, tasty, healthy and really really simple. It’s a low effort, high impact salad. We like those.
The salad is super simple to make and holds well if you wait until the last minute to dress. . Starting with little gem lettuce cups (or baby cos leaves, raddichio or witlof) and layering creamy pistachios, crunchy radishes, shredded red cabbage, tangy little pomegranate jewels and parmesan cheese.
The dressing contains apple cider vinegar, olive oil, teeny tiny teaspoon of dijon mustard, s&p and a drizzle of honey. It’s so simple to make, I’ve listed them below. Can we please just stop for a moment and look at how I spelt pistachio? POstachio, ugh #badfoodie
The salad can be prepared an hour or two before then covered with cling wrap and live in the fridge until it’s time to dress (to impress) in which you’d lightly drizzle the dressing then serve.
For a vegan version, remove the parmesan and replace the honey with rice malt syrup.
It’s a super salad to add to your repertoire and makes for a great Instagram picture too 😉
What’s your go to BBQ salad?
Have a wonderful day, Bec xx
Gem Pomme Pistachio Salad
- 2 heads of baby cos, gem lettuce, raddichio or witlof rinsed and sepraated into cups
- 80g pistachios unsalted
- 4 radishes thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- teaspoon honey
- salt and pepper
- Wash and separate lettuce cups and arrange in a star formation in a bowl (kind of like an asterix**). Layer until bowl is full of layered lettuce cups.
- Finely shred the cabbage and slice radishes, then sprinkle over the salad ensuring all layers get a little cabbage action.
- Sprinkle the pomegranate jewels, pistachios and parmesan.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a small air tight container and shake to combine. Wait until serving to dress.