This post goes out to all those 9-5ers who know the true disappointment of bad choice of lunch. We’ve all been there, amiright? You spend half your lunch break wandering around deciding what you want, when really deep down you know don’t want anything available.
You decide on that kebab that’s been sitting there because you’ve walked in circles or 25 minutes and time’s up. One day, I bought said kebab. I took one bite and instantly threw it in the bin I was so grossed out – the tomato was so old it had shrivelled and dried out. I then looked up and the person who served me the kebab was watching.. it was a very traumatic lunch. I shouldn’t have immediately thrown it out however my body took over and my hands made that decision for me.
Other times I’ve eaten the kebab/schnitzel wrap with fries, oh okay…yes please if you insist/McDonalds (blasphemy!) Just because I felt like I had no healthy options around me. Hands up if you’ve been there?
Me too… me too. I had enough.. I felt bloated, lethargic and just plain gross. Lunch time was not a relaxing break, it was stressing me outttttt mann. I decided to take control of what I was having for lunch and not let the outlets around my office control me.
There are two main factors that have really helped me get on top of my lunch game whilst working a 9-5 job. They are:
– Lunch from home – most of the time. 3-4/5 days I bring my own lunch from home. I purposely cook a shiz load of food every time I cook so Jackson and I have enough for leftovers. I’m going to go over this in another post because I think this is the most important thing. If I don’t have lunch from home one day, that’s okay because I have done some research and I know where I can go, nearby to get a healthy and delicious quality lunch.
– Know your enemies, and know your friends. Gross old kebabs and chicken parmas with the lot with extra fries for lunch aren’t your friends. They will bog you down and your hard working body (and mind) won’t get the nourishment it needs to keep rocking it at work for the afternoon. Not to mention the cost, it’s expensive to eat out every day for lunch. Those kebabs aren’t cheap.
This post, my friends, is about getting to know the friends around/nearby your place of work that can provide you with the loving and nourishing food you need to feel great.
For all the Melbourne CBD workers, meet Greenpress.
Greenpress is your one stop shop for a healthy alternative whilst you’re at work. The Greenpress menu has been carefully crafted (by a Michelin star chef – fancy!) to include only the best ingredients to take the hard decisions out of your lunch break.
Opening serving blends, smoothies and acai bowls for breakfast and a delicious looking CCBLT (Chicken, Coconut Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato bagel). The bagel is made from psyllium husk, coconut flour and flaxseed. That’s right, Greenpress is supplying the southern end of Melbourne CBD with quality food from 7.30am.
As te day rolls on, you can pop in for a iced latte, cold drip in the cutest little bottle ever, or a fresh cold pressed juice with the best names in town. The Cayenne West is my favourite at the moment. Coming into flu season it’s cayenne pepper, turmeric, orange, carrot, ginger & lemony goodness was my saving grace
*Seriously.. a visit to Greenpress is made worth it’s while as soon as you read some of the juice names.
Greenpress has a range of superfood salads that don’t sacrifice in the taste department, as taste is just as important as nutrition. If a salad isn’t enough, you can add on serves of proteins and toppings. The salads are hearty however, containing rice, grains and wholesome vegetables. Some of my favourite go-to meals are:
– Notorious B.I.G – it is made from brown rice, flax seed, broccoli, shitake mushroom, baby spinach with air baked falafels and tahini
– Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese with zucchini noodles [$11]
– Krispy Klean coconut and vanilla bean donuts (could eat 12)
– Coconut Bacon (yes!) For a vegetarian, this is a great purchase to add to my own salads for a smokey crunchy twist.
This is just but one example of a place doing the CBD lunch thing right. They even deliver to your office, just to give you some time back in your day to do something else you enjoy.
“We deliver to give some time back in our customers days. We’re all so time poor so if we can make their lunch time easier, it’s a win win. As long as they use that time we’ve given back for something that still nourishes the mind.” Co-Owner of Greenpress Jo, advised. She suggests going for a walk, reading a book you love, calling Mum or taking that time to meditate.
You can read more about the Greenpress story and values here.
There are places out there who are just waiting to serve you with healthy, real food. They also may be playing Biggie Smalls or Black Sabbath.. have crazy naming conventions for their products and have really lovely staff who are happy to assist you choose a meal that’s perfect for you. Let’s support these businesses, who are doing to much to support us. Greenpress, keep doing what you’re doing!
For maps, opening hours and information click here.
Now, readers who don’t live in Melbourne.. If you leave the city/town where you work in the comments below, I shall do some detective Google work and try and find you a similar place near you.
Have a wonderful day, Bec x
*please note this is not a sponsored post, however I received the Greenpress products to try. All opinions are completely my own.