Last week, on Australia day long weekend my boy, our friends and I made the treck out to Lexton, in the west of Victoria for the Rainbow Serpent festival. For those who haven’t heard of Rainbow, it’s a music and lifestyle outdoors camping festival, known in Australia as ‘bush doofs’. It was my first time, and it certainly lived up to its name.
Jackson and I made an effort to bring healthy and nutritious food to help fuel us over the weekend – lots of dancing and not much sleep meant it was especially important to eat well. The music went 24/7 (hence the doof part of bush doof) so we had to fuel properly! We did run out of food on the last morning which turned out to be a blessing in disguise – Rainbow had a vast array of amazing vegetarian options, and gave me heaps of ideas for future recipes.. watch this space.
When we got home, tired and needing a shower or seven, we needed something quick and easy we could eat whilst watching a movie – the ultimate cure.
You might remember my greek yoghurt pizza bases from a while back – (2 ingredients – voila pizza dough). They made a triumphant return last night, with a vegetarian Mexican twist. Avocado, black beans and a cheek of lemon made this pizza a dinner to remember, you can find the recipe below.
Before I reveal the recipe, can we please discuss how funny the term ‘a cheek of lemon’ really is – it’s so correct but it just gets me. I don’t know why, I’m weird. Back to pizza.
I topped the pizza with a paprika lime yoghurt dressing which I have been very fond of lately, see corn and lentil taco recipe for verification. It’s purely because it’s a nice twist. I eat greek yoghurt often so where I can mix it up, I do. You should too! It’s as simple as mixing some paprika and lime juice through, or dijon mustard, or horseradish, or whatever your little yoghurt loving heart desires.
The half way point of my summer has well and truly passed – it’s 23 degrees everyday for the next week (very unaustralian I might add) so keep an eye out for hot and heavy winter recipes to come. I have been craving pastas, soups and tea and coffee. Very strange..
Keep an eye out for some cookies too because it’s been too long since a sweet treat appeared around here.
Whats a comforting recovery meal you enjoy? Let me know in the comments below.
Have a wonderful day, Bec x
- 1 cup greek yoghurt
- 1 cup wholemeal self raising flour. Seriously.
- 1 tin pinto/black beans
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- olive oil
- 100 mls greek yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- teaspoon lime/lemon juice
- Combine 1 cup greek yoghurt with 1 cup self raising flour
- Knead on a floured bench for 6-8 minutes until a ball of dough has formed
- Split dough into 2 and roll each ball in flour
- Place ball of dough inbetween 2 pieces of baking paper
- Roll into a pizza base with a rolling pin (or a round glass bottle – I used my olive oil bottle)
- Repeat for second ball of dough
- Place on a pizza tray and start topping with your pizza stuff
- Mix paprika and cumin with a teaspoon olive oil. Brush onto the pizza base.
- Add the thinly dices tomato and black beans, spreading evenly.
- Top with Mozzarella cheese and sliced avocado
- Place in the oven for 20-30 minutes at 180 degrees
- Remove once cheese is melted and bubbly
- Combine all three ingredients and drizzle a top the pizza
- Serve with cheeks of lemon. I added pineapple to my pizza too, but thats totally Hawaiian!