*This post is part of a Nuffnang native advertising series.
Dried cranberry raisins (gangster name ‘Craisins’) are a favourite of mine – I love mixing them with other dried fruits and nuts or adding to a morning museli. When added to muesli, they are the first to go as I then proceed to pick them all out and eat them first. Crasins and I get along very well.
I was recently contacted by Ocean Spray, who are a maker of all things cranberry. You’ve probably seen them around before – Ocean Spray have been cranberry kings for 85 years, making dried fruit, juices, sauces and other delicious fruity things. Ocean Spray wanted to challenge me to make a brunch using cranberries, and not being one to turn down a challenge, cranberries, or brunch I gleefully accepted.
Ocean Spray were lovely enough to send me some craisins and cranberry fruit drink to see what I could come up with. May I proudly present, my cranberry and coconut wholemeal heart shaped waffles. Dairy free with wholemeal flour and delicious, these waffles were the perfect brunch to start to my Saturday.
The waffles were fluffy and coconutty on the inside and crispy on the outside. I managed to achieve the perfect fluffy to crispy ratio. Success! *high five*
I was able to play god and soaked some cranberry/raspberries in the Ocean Spray cranberry fruit drink.. this ensured the cranberries were super flavoursome. The raspberries soacked up the cranberry goodness and were nice and gooey too. With their powers combined, a sweet and tangy coulis was created. One day I they’ll say I went too far..
The waffles were topped with some additional coconut cream and dessicated coconut was sprinkled over the waffles for some extra tszuj.
Cranberries are a great snack to introduce into the diet and boasts the following benefits:
- A rich source of the flavonoid quercetin which can inhibit the development of both breast and colon cancers.
- Cranberries are an excellent source of antioxidants which may protect against cancer, heart disease and other diseases.
- Cranberries have been shown to help maintain a healthy urinary tract…(Ladies)
More benefits can be found here.
There is a week of hot days to look forward too, so I won’t be surprised if I find myself back on the cranberry juice bangwagon again by the end of the week. I have some vodka and fresh limes. I can feel a cocktail coming on..
Whats another delicious recipe you could use cranberries in?
Oh, and do you like challenges in the kitchen? If so, check out the Ocean Spray facebook page while you’re at it – they’re currently running a competition, where you have 30 words to create the most creative cranberry themed dish you can think of, and they’ll give you a $1,000 Coles voucher (that’s $33 a word, get busy!).
Have a wonderful day, Bec x
- 1 cup self raising wholemeal flour
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup ocean spray dried cranberry crasins
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon dessicated coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- coconut oil for frying
- reserve some coconut milk for the waffles
- dessicated coconut for garnishing
- 1/4 cup cranberry craisins
- 1/4 cup frozen raspberries
- 1/4 cup Ocean Spray cranberry fruit drink
- In a bowl, mix the wholemeal flour, coconut milk, cranberries, egg, baking powder, dessicated coconut and salt. Stir to form a batter.
- Heat waffle iron (or frying pan for pancakes) and coat with coconut oil.
- Once waffle iron (or pan) is hot - place batter into iron and spread out to edges. Close and cook until crispy on the outside - approx 3-4 minutes. Keep an eye on waffle iron - mine isn't too hot. Transfer waffles to a warm oven to keep warm.
- Whilst waffles are cooking, combine the cranberry juice, craisins and rasperries in a small sauce pan over a low heat and combine.
- Once all waffles are cooked, serve with the warm raspberry and cranberry topping and top with dessicated cocout and coconut milk. Enjoy.
- If you don't have a waffle iron you can cook spoonfuls of batter like fritters/pancakes in the frypan. For a runnier consistency of pancakes, add a little more coconut milk.