Today, it was hot. Yesterday, it was hot. Tomorrow… also hot <– I wrote this when it was hot.. in typical Melbourne fashion its been raining and cold. None the less, technically Summer is here, which means lots of fun, sun, and new recipes galore. Summer means light and quick meals to me – salads, salad sandwiches, salad salads and salads. Salad? Salad. OR.. kale and quinoa patties on a salad.
Last week at a gals night my friend Tilly made this great recipe, and I haven’t been able to get it off my mind. It’s a keeper even without the magic combination of breadcrumbs, rosemary and parmesan cheese (which is one of my favourites).
They are perfect for a vegetarian burger, but also go great on a pile of your favourite greens, or just on their own. They can be baked or fried, and I had mine with spring onions, which I have been become great friends with lately. I made extra and had them for lunch later on in the week – turns out you can eat them cold too! Quinoa is also full of good stuff and a great staple to have in your pantry. For the science, visit this great article.
I’ll be coming up with some more summer recipes as the weather continues to heat up, so keep an eye out!
What is your favourite Summer meal?? Or another great vegetarian burger recipe?
If you make these, tag #dtsblog I would LOVE to see. It makes me smile like a huge goof ball.
Have a wonderful day, Bec xo
- 1/2 a bunch of fresh kale, rinsed and stripped off stems. ensure to remove all thick stalks and stems.
- 1 + 1/2 cups organic quinoa cooked
- 1 cup bread crumbs - 3/4 cup breadcrumbs for patty with an extra 1/4 for coating
- 1 cup spring onion, chopped + extra for garnishing
- 1/2 a cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary (dried or fresh)
- salt and pepper
- olive oil for frying
- Have all the ingredients ready. In a small fry pan over medium heat, add some oil and the garlic. Fry garlic for 1 minute then add the kale. Sautee until kale turns bright green and soft. This should take 3-4 minutes.
- Whilst kale is cooking down, add the quinoa, bread crumbs, spring onions, rosemary, parmesan, salt and pepper to a bowl.
- Once kale has softened fully, let cool. Once cooled add to the quinoa bowl.
- Add the beaten egg and mix thoroughly with your hands, combining all the ingredients.
- Once patty mixture has fully combined, heat oil in a fry pan or have oven ready at 180deg cel.
- Form a firm patty with your hand, coat in a layer of bread crumbs and shallow fry on oil over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden. You can use a spatula to press down and flatten in pan. Remove and place on a paper towell.
- Form a firm patty with your hand, coat in a layer of bread crumbs and place on an light oiled oven safe baking dish. Spray with some olive oil and bake at 180 deg cel for 8-10 minutes or until golden.
- Remove and serve with burgers or salad.
- I enjoyed mine with a squeeze of lemon and chipotle sauce.
- Eggs or parmesan cheese aren't nessecary for a vegan version however might have a little more trouble holding together.