*This post is in collaboration with Crazysales
Melbourne has started to warm up (bring on summer!) and on hot days my brain thinks in ice cream.
A gourmet gelato shop recently opened down the road from my house. It’s amazing for sure, but at $4 a scoop and full of sugar it’s not something I could eat every day. In summer I want ice cream every day, so I came up with a healthier gourmet frozen yoghurt recipe.
When I was gifted a Maxkon ice cream maker [$27.95] from the Crazysales online store, I was excited to say the least.
Within days it arrived at my front door in perfect condition and with a hot day around the corner I was ready to go.
Making homemade ice cream is a great summer activity with an even better outcome – 1.5L of fresh icecream and YOU choose the flavours. This was happening.
Making a delicious summer treat using my new favourite applicance was so easy that I have decided to share a simple and delicious frozen yoghurt recipe you can make at home.
I decided on sour cherry and coconut frozen yoghurt because well.. that just sounds like a dream. I am a coconut lover and a cherry lover and it’s time these two got better acquainted (in my kitchen anyway)
It took about 30-35 minutes in the ice cream maker and an extra 5 in the freezer to turn what was just greek yoghurt, coconut cream, a spoonful of sugar and cherries into an amazing frozen treat.
The ingredients for this recipe cost me about $6 and I got 1.4 Liters of this magical stuff which is now in my freezer just waiting for those 30 degree days.
What’s your favourite flavour of ice cream? I shall make it!
Have a wonderful day, Bec x
- 250ml Greek yoghurt
- 200 ml coconut cream (refrigerate can till cream separated from water - only use cream part)
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 1/4 cup dessicated coconut
- 1/4 cup amarena cherries chopped in half
- As per the Maxkon ice cream maker's instructions, I placed the inner of ice cream maker in the freezer overnight.
- The next day, mix the yoghurt, coconut milk, sugar, coconut and cherries in a jug with a spout (makes it easy to pour)
- Remove the inner from the freezer, assemble and turn the ice cream maker on
- When paddle is moving, pour the mixture into the ice cream maker slowly
- Leave for 30-40 minutes or until yoghurt has frozen and become the desired consistency
- I placed the entire inner in the freezer for a further 10 minutes
- Drizzle some extra syrup from the cherries on top and enjoy!
- It is much easier using an ice cream maker for this recipe however can be done without using a different method. This is amazing!
- After you've stored the frozen yogurt in the freeze, it' will harden more than store bought ice cream (because there are no stabilizers or other nasties in this recipe), just let it sit out for 15-20 minutes to thaw and become creamy again.
- For a vegan option leave out the yoghurt and use 2 cans of coconut cream.