Waking up and taking your sweet time to laze about, drink freshly pressed coffee and make a Sunday brunch has been a ritual in the DTS HQ as of late.
Jackson does not participate in the coffee drinking bit.. or ‘dirty water’ as he calls it.. (I can’t believe I’m dating a coffee hater.. ahhh the things you do) Anyway.. I was after a healthy brunch recipe with eggs so when this recipe popped into my mind, I was one happy girl.
Sunday brunch is meant to be one of the indulgent parts of my week. Should I be wanting sprouts and kale?! Hell no! But here we are..
I raided my fridge and had tuscan kale, sprouts, avocado, horseradish, eggs and an amazing rye crisp bread type thing.
It took no time to prepare and I felt amazing eating this brunch knowing I was getting 3 of my 5 serves of veggies for breakfast. That meant I could have mac and cheese for dinner as my friend Katie says: “Because balance!”
One of my favourite kitchen past times is whipping up breakfasts. Give me an egg, some pita bread and some ricotta and watch me soar. I often make simple but fresh things and always, always savoury.
The meal above was made up of some dill roasted tomato slices, 2 eggs and ricotta on a wholemeal pita. I sliced the tomatoes, placed them on the pita and seasoned with dill. I then added a crumble of ricotta and cooked in the oven for 5-6 minutes (180deg cel) until the tomatoes had started to cook. I then cracked 2 eggs onto my pizza (of sorts) and baked for a further 6-8 minutes or until the eggs were cooked to me own liking. BAM. Breakfast pizza!
I also did my make up whilst this was in the oven so I felt like a super effecient mad woman that morning. Whats a morning ritual for you? I’d love to know in the comments below.
I always have to make a wild breakfast at home so I’m fueled and ready for the day!
I hope you have a wonderful day, Bec xo
- 1/2 a ripe avocado sliced
- 2 soft boiled/poached eggs
- 1/3 bunch kale
- 1 piece bread
- 1/2 cup sprouts
- 1 tsp horseradish (or other sauce)
- 1 tsp paprika
- olive oil
- Rinse and dry kale, place on lined baking tray. Season with a drizzle of olive oil, paprika and salt and pepper and place in oven on 180deg for 5-6 minutes.
- Once kale in oven boil, poach or fry your eggs to your liking.
- Whilst eggs are cooking, arrange your plate with your toast and avocado.
- Once kale has crisped, remove from oven and place on plate
- Top with boiled/poached eggs, sprouts and your choice of sauce and season with salt and pepper
- You can substitute the horseradish for hummus, dijonaise or a pesto and cover wih basil or thyme. Delish!