Fried rice.. where do I start. A simple but tasty dish that frequented my childhood has made a comeback into my life. This fried rice recipe isn’t too hard to cook so it’s a perfect mid week recipe to keep in the back of your mind!
The recipe is very simple but the secret to the perfect fried rice… are you ready.. is to cook the rice the day before. This ensures it has had time to dry and isn’t too gluggly. You can thank me later.
This recipe can also be quite healthy if you use brown rice or quinoa. I used a mix of brown rice, quinoa and some wild rice for mine and it was damn delicious.
Making fried rice at home is one of those simple, throw together meals that you can make and is so much healthier (and cheaper) than buying takeaway.
You can add whatever veggies you wish to this meal and top with a fried egg! How good is that?! (we all know how I feel about eggs..)
This was so tasty you honestly wouldn’t even notice it wasn’t from a restaurant it’s that good – pinky promise. The brown rice gave the fried rice a delicious nutty chewy flavour and soaked up the flavours of the soy sauce perfectly.
Here’s a behind the scenes shot of what I have to do to get ‘the perfect’ photo.. I follow the natural light and stand on all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff. My neighbours think I am crazy.
Do you have any fried rice secrets or must have’s? OR any other simple week night dinner recipes?
Lets get chattin’ in the comments below and if you like these recipes, sign up to the DTS newsletter in the sidebar to recieve even more recipes and foodspiration.
Have a wonderful day, Bec x
- 2 cups brown rice cooked as per packet instructions
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1 onion diced
- 1 cup peas and corn
- 1 carrot, sliced thinly
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon salt reduced soy sauce
- 1 chili or spring onion to garnish
- Spray/lightly coat large fry pan with olive oil and when hot, pour the egg mixture in and flip after 3 minutes. Remove when cooked and set aside.
- In the same over medium heat, heat some olive oil and fry onion until fragrant, usually 2-3 mins.
- Add the broccoli, carrot, peas and corn. Drizzle with the sesame oil and cook for 5-8 minutes until veggies are cooked but still crunchy.
- Once veggies are cooked, add the rice in and mix thoroughly.
- Add the egg and the soy sauce for final last 3-4 minutes and stir constantly – try not to burn the soy sauce it burns quickly. If you require a little more soy sauce and sesame oil, drizzle it on for the last few minutes.
- Remove from heat, serve and garnish with chilli or spring onion. Enjoy!
- Try have the rice cooked the day before - this makes for the best fried rice.
- It freezes well and holds well for leftovers if kept in fridge for the next 2-3 days.