Cooking Curries

Vegetarian Chilli Con Carne

With a huge dose of fresh vegetables, beans and spices this Vegetarian Chili Con Carne recipe is a very healthy meal. It’s also tasty, cheap as chips and great for leftovers, freezing or baked eggs the next morning – go on make it!

I have never made a Chili Con Carne before and now that I have – I am adding it to the ‘regular dinner’ list I have hidden in the back of my mind (do you have one of those?).

It was SO easy! Jackson and I made it together and the best part about it is once it’s simmering on the stove – you have 30-40 minutes to go and do something else and only occasionally stirring.  Talk about being efficient!

Vegetarian Chili Con Carne     serves 4
*vegan if greek yoghurt isn’t added to the top

vegan chili con carne pinterest

Ingredients: 3 x 400 gram tins of beans (I used butter beans, mexe beans and a 3 bean mix), 2 x 400 gram tins of diced tomatoes, 2 medium onions diced, 2 tomatoes diced, 2 carrots grated, 1 zucchini grated, 1 red capsicum (pepper) diced quite small, 1 dollop of butter (I used nuttalex) 2 tablespoons ground cumin, 1 tablespoon ground coriander, 1 tablespoon dried chili flakes, 1 tablespoon thyme, 1 teaspoon turmeric, 1 tea spoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and some sliced shallots or spring onion to garnish.

I know the ingredient list looks quite large however if you want to make the spice mix yourself thats what you need! I always try to make the spice mixes myself because then I know exactly what is in it. No ‘thickening agents” or colour 150CH-6!

1. Prep your veggies. Dice the capsicum, tomato and onion. Grate the carrot and zucchini and have all the beans rinsed and drained (minus the mexe beans because they are flavoured)
  2. When all prepped – in your largest pot/pan over a medium to high heat, fry the onions with some olive oil for 4-5 minutes or until browned. Add the diced tomatoes and stew for a further 2-3 minutes or until they soften.
  3. Once the tomatoes soften, add the capcisum, zucchini, carrot, beans and tins of diced tomatoes. Season with your spice mix and mix it all thoroughly to combine. Add the dollop of butter (nuttalex) and stir in.
  4. Let the chilli simmer on a medium heat, stirring every 5 minutes for 30 minutes to allow the flavours to combine and the vegetables to cook.
  5. Once the chilli has simmered for 30 minutes, taste and season if required. Remove from heat, serve and garnish with a dollop of greek yoghurt/sour cream and shallots.

vegetarian chili con carne

This was perfect for (hopefully) one of the last cold nights of Spring and for those on the other side of the world, this Chili would suit a chilly (ha!) Fall night very well. Maybe paired with a glass of red wine?

Have you ever made a Chili Con Carne before? Any secret ingredients I should try next time?

I heard a few cubes of dark chocolate works very well in this dish as it takes the edge off and makes the meal slightly more creamy. Jackson wasn’t into that so no chocolate this time!

If you like this recipe please share it on facebook. If you make this recipe or somethign similar, please tag me on instagram I love seeing what you make! @dancingthroughsunday

I hope you try this and let me know how you go – I will be making it again very soon.

Have a wonderful day, Bec x

• Reply Avie August 27, 2018 at 2:18 pm

The chocolate idea really works but a teaspoon or so of sugar (depends on whether you do a single or double batch) also does the trick – takes away the acidity of the tomatoes. (ANYWAY – who in their right minds has any chocolate just β€˜hanging around’ waiting to be chucked into chilli?? Not in THIS house anyway!)

• Reply Bec September 19, 2018 at 3:36 pm

Sugar is a great back up, I like your chocolate style πŸ˜‰ Why keep it around!?

• Reply Tash October 26, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Oh this looks delicious! My family think I’m crazy because I genuinely prefer veggie chilli’s to meat ones. They are so much heartier and way more filling. Love x

• Reply Bec October 26, 2014 at 7:59 pm

I think the beans are just enough πŸ™‚ It’s all about the spices and toppings anyway! Thanks for stopping by x

• Reply Laura October 25, 2014 at 5:02 pm

OMG this looks SO yum! I’m definitely making it!

• Reply Bec October 26, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Please let me know how you go!

• Reply Daniela @ FoodrecipesHQ October 21, 2014 at 9:31 pm

I love vegetarian chilli! Sometimes I add faux meat in it but I reckon it is not necessary at all. The variety of beans makes it a tasty complete meal. Like you, I like it with a dollop of Greek yogurt on top.

• Reply Bec October 22, 2014 at 9:15 am

So true! I’ll put a dollop of greek yoghurt on almost anything!

• Reply Georgia October 21, 2014 at 1:27 pm

OMG YUMMMM! I totally believe in making your own spice mix where possible, it’s cheaper and tastier!

I personally like topping mine with some guac and a few corn chips

• Reply dancingthroughsunday October 21, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Thats just plain genius.. I am so doing that next time.

• Reply dancingthroughsunday October 21, 2014 at 3:52 pm

And yes, SO much cheaper! Coles brand herbs and spices are my best friends.

• Reply Wild Hearts + Green Tea October 20, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Never made this before but you got me at “it’s SO easy”!

Looks really good and yummy, thank for sharing the recipe πŸ™‚

• Reply dancingthroughsunday October 20, 2014 at 9:37 pm

You can seriously add everything to a pot, walk away and stir every 5 minutes! No worries, thanks for commenting x

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday October 13, 2014 at 11:49 am

I did indeed! Coles has them πŸ™‚ Homebrand in the tinned bean section. let me know how it goes!

• Reply Katie October 13, 2014 at 11:36 am

Ooo yum! I was looking for something cheap and easy to make this week and I think this fits the bill! Did you get your mexican beans from Coles/Woolies?

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday October 13, 2014 at 9:40 am

Done and DONE Nancy! That sounds perfect πŸ™‚

• Reply Neatly_Packaged October 13, 2014 at 9:35 am

I have never had this before but it looks so good! πŸ™‚ My fiance makes the BEST chili. Goodness… when he makes it I think about for days. It is that good. If you ever come to Texas, let me know. I’ll make him make it for you πŸ™‚ Thank you for sharing this Bec!