Something I have recently fallen for is cooking with seasonal produce as we all know; it’s something I harp on about.
With Spring blooming down under, asparagus has become a frequent in the DTS HQ.
This asparagus and egg galette with dill goats cheese was simple, fresh and if you don’t mind eating pastry (oh pastry, so tasty <3) then you should try this recipe!
Asparagus has some amazing health benefits for you and you can read all about them here. I am trying to incorporate at least one fresh vegetable in each meal I eat which guarantees a day doesn’t go by without me consuming my daily 5 (sometimes 10!)
I am loving it because I feel great. It’s the little choices that we make every day that help maintain a healthy diet.
I also eat a lot of eggs – as a vegetarian I find that I have to to sustain me for breakfast some times vegemite does not cut it. Jackson cals me eggy.. I am still unsure whether its really cute or really not..
I used Dill Goats cheese because its damn amazing but gruyere, feta, ricotta or mozzarella would be delicious too!
The galette can be eaten for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner and travels quite well in some tin foil/lunch box. I added some extra goats cheese after I took these photos because I realised I was so tame when adding the cheese – what was I thinking?
- 1 Bunch fresh asparagus spears ends trimmed
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 2 eggs and 1 extra egg yolk for an egg wash
- Sprinkle of ground cumin or ground coriander
- A cheese of your choice (I used Dill Goats cheese because its damn amazing but gruyere, feta, ricotta or mozzarella would be delicious too!)
- Preheat oven to 180 deg celcius (355 deg f)
- Defrost one entire sheet of pastry and cut a 2cm thick border out of the second piece. These 4 strips of pastry become the crust of the galette. I put the centre square of the second pastry back in the freezer.
- Trim the asparagus. Ready the egg wash by mixing one tablespoon water or milk with the egg yolk in a smal bowl and set aside
- Once pastry has defrosted and has the border/crust on the edge - place the asparagus spears in the middle spread evenly. Brush pastry with the egg wash. Season with salt and pepper and place in oven for 10 minutes on 180 degrees
- After 10 minutes in oven pastry and asparagus should start to cook/puff. Remove and crack the 2 eggs over the asparagus. If you want your cheese to melt - add it now. If you want it fresh - add at end.
- Place back in oven for a further 8 minutes (keep an eye on it) and remove once eggs are cooked to your liking. Remove and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and herbs
- You can add as much or little cheese as you wish to this recipe. You could also serve with fresh dill and cream cheese.
What seasonal produce are you enjoying at the moment? or Any other amazing asparagus recipes I should try?
If you’re feeling extra special today you could do me a solid and share this recipe using the ‘share’ links below. I would be eternally in your favour.
Have a wonderful and delicious day! Bec x