Other Savoury Top 10 posts Vegan

Rainbow Veggie Bowl

September 17, 2014

Helloooo! I have a confession.. I accidentally ate pizza for dinner on Friday night AND lunch/dinner on Saturday.

How does one accidentally eat pizza you may ask? Well.. it didn’t jump into my mouth per say.. but I defiantly ate lots of pizza over the weekend.

It was delicious as pizza always it, but by the time the weekend came to an end, needless to say I felt pretty horrible.

I was craving a huge bowl of vegetables, as they seem to be what I crave when I don’t eat great and they certainly did the job. Whats your fix when you’re feeling a bit flat?

Rainbow Bowl 2

The great things about a rainbow veggie bowl are you can customize it exactly how you wish. If it’s a warm summers day, you can have all fresh vegetables like cucumber, tomatoes, capsicums (peppers), sprouts and avocado with a light dressing – yum!

Although Melbourne has entered Spring, we had a cold and miserable day so I decided to go with all warm vegetables.

Rainbow Veggie Bowl        makes 2 big bowls

Ingredients:

• 1 ½ cups brown rice or a grain cooked
  • ½ a bunch of kale trimmed
  • 2 tomatoes diced
  • ½ a red onion sliced
  • 1 cob of corn with corn removed OR tin of corn
  • 1 medium sweet potato peeled and grated
  • 2 cloves of garlic crushed
  • hummus/tzatiki/dressing to garnish with
  • 1 tbsp ground cumin, olive oil, s&p

Rainbow Bowl 1

1. Cook your rice or grain as per packet instructions and set aside.
  2. In a fry pan over medium heat cook corn kernels till slightly charred. Remove and set aside
  3. In the same fry pan over medium heat, heat some olive oil and when hot add the garlic for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Then add the stripped kale leaves and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until leaves turn a brighter green. Remove and set aside
  4. In the same fry pan add a little more olive oil and sautee the sliced red onion until fragrant (2 minutes). Add the diced tomato and cook for a further 4-5 minutes until tomato has cooked down and soft. Remove and set aside
  5. In the same fry pan, add a little more olive oil and the grated sweet potato. Season the sweet potato with the tablespoon of ground cumin, salt and pepper and remove after 5-7 minutes.
  6. In a large(ish) bowl, assemble, garnish and dress then enjoy!

I also made some hummus to dollop on top because Jackson looooooves hummus.

What would YOU put in your Rainbow Veggie bowl?

I can’t wait till the weather warms up just a little bit more so I can have a fresh/raw rainbow bowl.

Have a wonderful day, Bec xo

You Might Also Like

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday September 25, 2014 at 12:38 pm

I neeeeeeeded veggies! My brain just did it all without thinking hehe

• Reply Kloe's Kitchen September 25, 2014 at 11:50 am

Awesome! So healthy and creative! 🙂

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday September 23, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Do it! I try to incorporate a veggie in every single meal of the day – thats my secret! I hope the bone broth helped. I really want to do one for my gut but I am a vegetarian so I kinda cant – I should look up a veggie version.

• Reply Raych aka Mystery Case September 20, 2014 at 4:39 am

I might need to take a snap shot of your veggie plates and place them on the fridge for inspiration. I’ve just had three days of bone broth trying to fix digestive issues and I’m needing to keep things really healthy with lots of variety from here on in.

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday September 18, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Thanks Cheeren! And a warning… if you’re craving pizza don’t go onto my recipe page and look at the pizza section… or do if you dare haha. I always get hungry when I am blogging, its the downfall! Thanks 🙂 x

• Reply Chereen Strydom September 18, 2014 at 9:53 pm

So glad to have stumbled upon your blog! And now I’m craaaaaving pizza! Haha. I love this idea for a rainbow veggie bowl, though – so healthy! Definitely going to be whipping this up sometime!
    Chereen

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday September 18, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Holidays take it out of you! No worries, I hope you get your fix x

• Reply Pearl/Pretty Mayhem September 18, 2014 at 2:47 pm

I so need to make myself a big bowl of veggies. I’ve just come back from holiday and all I did for 8 days was eat, drink and…eat again! It was fun at the time bu tnow I’m feeling very flat. Thanks for the veggie inspiration xx

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday September 18, 2014 at 11:58 am

My thoughts exactly.. but I had an indulgent weekend here.. With pizzahut.. haha.

• Reply Katie September 18, 2014 at 11:44 am

That looks so delicious and exactly what I need after a very indulgent week away!

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday September 18, 2014 at 11:33 am

I know, right? I envisioned cucumber, tomatoes, sprouts, spinach but when the time came to cook it all I wanted was warm stuff. Come on Spring! It teased up but has totally gone away. x

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday September 18, 2014 at 11:32 am

haha, great thinking Clairey! I have a ‘clear the fridge’ roast or omelette/fry up too, great way to reduce wastage and eat lots of veggies!

• Reply Lucy @ Bake Play Smile September 18, 2014 at 11:14 am

Yummy! I like how you used warm veggies – I’m totally with you on wondering where Spring is here in Melbourne??!!! Love how healthy this is. xx

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday September 18, 2014 at 9:33 am

OMAGOSH DOLMADES. How good are they?! Do you ever make your own? I might try that.. although they are so good from the Deli section with a squeeze of lime. aaaaand now I want dolmades!

• Reply ClaireyHewitt September 17, 2014 at 10:14 pm

We often have rainbow veggie bowl dinners, but I usually call it, “Empty the Fridge Dinner”,
    it’s what I throw together when we just have random items hanging in the fridge.

• Reply Justine de Jonge September 17, 2014 at 9:12 pm

That bowl looks incredible! I have a very soft spot for dolmades and falafel so my bowl would most likely feature these. Oh, and perhaps some fruit that goes well with savoury like mango or pineapple. Yum! Bring on the warmer weather! 🙂

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday September 17, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Thanks! Let me knwo if you make it 🙂

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday September 17, 2014 at 2:38 pm

A big bowl of greens will always help! Thanks Amber x

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday September 17, 2014 at 2:37 pm

I swear they heal me! Thanks 🙂

• Reply footnotes and finds September 17, 2014 at 2:25 pm

yum! this looks delicious! going to save this for later!

• Reply Amber Roche September 17, 2014 at 1:34 pm

That’s totally my fix for when I’m feeling flat too! Looks delicious.

• Reply Yellowpeaches September 17, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Yum that looks awesome! I def crave veggies every now and then too x

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday September 17, 2014 at 12:22 pm

haha… I may have felt a little indulgant after eating pizza for 3 different meals in 24 hours, but this bowl of goodness fixed me right up! Ohh green smoothies, YUM! I haven’t had one in forever but I might make one on the weekend. What do you put in yours? xx

• Reply Oddlylovely September 17, 2014 at 9:50 am

Haha, for a second I thought you said, “Whats your fix when you’re feeling a bit FAT?” I definitely feel a bit fat after eating a bunch of pizza, haha. I usually got for a green smoothie, which is pretty much the liquid version of your veggie bowl! I love how colorful this dish is, too 🙂
    Cat

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday September 17, 2014 at 9:14 am

Oh yes, I forgot about beans! There really are so many different things you can chuck in there which is the best thing about them! Thanks Carmen x

• Reply ~ Carmen ~ September 17, 2014 at 9:02 am

So pretty. The more colorful the better. I’ve never grated sweet potato before, normally just chop it. I’d add rice & beans, avocado, broccoli, & spinach. Mmmm. :] // http://www.itscarmen.com ☼ ☯