Cooking Salads Spring

Pea and haloumi salad w/ zucchini + dill lemon drizzle

One thing I am loving at the moment is the abundance of fresh vegetables available – thanks to Spring!

I decided to take full advantage of the lovely weekend we had and make a light, fragrant and fresh salad for dinner. A pea and haloumi salad with zucchini ribbon, spinach, lentils and a dill lemon dressing sounded perfect (all seasonal produce – high five!).

Other things I am loving at the moment is a glass of red wine, doing yoga at home before I start my day, feeling the sun and the wind on my arms (good riddance winter!) and spending time in the park. What are you enjoying at the moment?

Pea and Haloumi Salad         serves 4
Pea haloumi Salad 2

Ingredients: 1 packet haloumi cheese, 100 grams rinsed baby spinach, 1 400gm rinsed tin lentils, 300 grams of green peas, 2 zucchini’s, 1/2 a lemon, 1/4 cup chopped dill, 1 tablespoon flour, 1 clove of crushed garlic, 1 tea spoon dijon mustard and olive oil

1. Prepare the vegetables by having the rinsed spinach, drained lentils, cooked peas ready and set aside
  2. Peel the zucchini length ways with a peeler and peel ribbons of the zucchini but stop when you reach the seeds in the middle. That part isn’t too tasty raw- the rest is fine. Delicious in fact!
  3. Slice the haloumi into .75cm thich strips and then half into a smaller rectangle shape. Light dust each piece with flour and set aside.
  4. In a fry pan over a medium heat, heat a very light drizzle of olive oil or spray with cooking oil. When pan is hot add the haloumi and fry for 3-4 minutes on each side or until browned.
  5. Whilst haloumi is cooking make the dill lemon dressing. In a jar or mug mix 1 half of a lemon’s juice with double the amount of olive oil. Add the chopped dill, crushed clove of garlic, teaspoon of dijon mustard and season with salt and pepper, stir vigorously.
  6. When the haloumi is cooked, squeeze some lemon juice over and remove from pan. Let cool whilst you assemble salad
  7. In a bowl combine the zucchini ribbon, spinach leaves, peas and lentils and top with the haloumi. Dress when serving. Enjoy!

Pea Haloumi salad 3

With the fresh zucchini, sweet peas, salty haloumi and the zesty dill drizzle this was a flavour sensation! A fresh and light salad to match the end of a lovely sunny day.

The lentils and the haloumi are both rich in protein so although this salad is very light, it kept me very full and satisfied after dinner.

I also got my daily dose of Popeye greens which I coudn’t function without. Whats a food you can’t function without?

I hope you enjoy this recipe and if you make it or some similar, let me know on the Dancing through Sunday Facebook or tag my instagram @dancingthroughsunday

Have a wonderful day, Bec xo

• Reply Mel January 20, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Another winner Bec – this is delicious!

• Reply Bec January 20, 2015 at 12:51 pm

It’s soo great I think I might make it tomorrow woo! x

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday October 5, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Thanks Clare – it is perfect for a day like today! Happy Sunday to you too. x

• Reply Clare from Checks and Spots October 5, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Yummo! This salad looks incredible. Will def be giving your recipe a whirl this week…
    Have a happy Sunday
    xx

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday October 2, 2014 at 12:47 pm

I’d almost eat haloumi ice cream I love it that much… maybe

• Reply Christina @ Mr and Mrs Romance October 1, 2014 at 9:55 pm

yum! I will eat pretty much anything with haloumi but this really looks good.

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday October 1, 2014 at 12:08 pm

You’re not wrong there.

• Reply Smaggle October 1, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Amazing. Totally trying this. Haloumi is food of the gods.

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday September 30, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Ohhh yes..Fairlie you’re so right. Olives are delicious each and every way. Stuffed, green, kalamata dip, on pizza, in a salad… now I am craving olives! x

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday September 30, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Ohhhhh my.. that’s a great idea and thats what I am making myself for my next brunch! Thanks Krista! p.s can’t wait for my cherry tomatoes to start growing

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday September 30, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Peas make a salad more fun to eat!

• Reply Lucy @ Bake Play Smile September 30, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Oh yes please!! I love haloumi and this salad looks incredibly delicious!

• Reply Fairlie September 30, 2014 at 3:40 pm

This dish combines lots of my favourite flavours!
    I can’t get by without olives. I use them in lots of dishes – all varieties too.

• Reply Krista September 30, 2014 at 11:56 am

This sounds absolutely fantastic!! I love everything about it. 🙂 I too am enjoying fresh veggies from my garden. My favorite is roasted asparagus with parmesan cheese and soft boiled eggs for brekky. Delish. 🙂

• Reply vegeTARAian September 30, 2014 at 11:44 am

Ooh this sounds DELICIOUS! I never think to add peas to a salad – I must follow your lead and give it a whirl.

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday September 29, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Grab ’em and make ’em! I am so ready for some sunshine but also loving seeing all the pumpkin spiced stuff comng out of your side of the world!

• Reply Katie (The Muffin Myth) September 29, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Ooooh, this looks good! Any excuse to eat haloumi! It isn’t spring where I live, we’re hurtling towards winter, but most of these ingredients are still in the market. I love how the peas and lentils add a boost of protein to this salad and turn it into a proper meal. Thanks for the recipe!

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday September 29, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Awesome – sometimes you have to embrace that inner lazy and let it be. Make it even better by eating haloumi on the couch in trackies!

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday September 29, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Ohhhhhh yep, I feel you! Tea is awesomeeee. I probably have 3-4-5 a day. I don’t know which is better, tea or fried haloumi!?!

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday September 29, 2014 at 8:00 pm

No problems! Thanks for hosting. I love haloumi and it went perfectly with the peas!

• Reply Daniela @ FoodrecipesHQ September 29, 2014 at 6:33 pm

What am I enjoying right now? Laziness 🙂
    Beautiful salad, I heart halloumi. When grilled, it is the best cheese ever for me.

• Reply Emma September 29, 2014 at 10:05 am

I don’t know if it counts as a food but tea is my drug. I can’t start the day without it!
    What I’m most enjoying lately is the lovely spring vegies and fruit. I ♥ them.
    Oh and your salad, which goes without saying, is delish – fried haloumi is awesome isn’t it?! It’s basically fried cheese!

• Reply Liz @ I Spy Plum Pie September 29, 2014 at 9:29 am

Yum! Haloumi and spring vegetables are such a perfect combination and make such a delicious light dinner. This looks right up my alley! Thanks for joining in the Meatless Monday linkup!