Pastas/Bakes

Garlic Kale Gnocchi Bake

Gnocchi, yes. Cheese, yes. Dijon mustard? YES! Lets add some kale into this to balance it all out, that’s how it works, right?

Gnocchi Bake 1I have made this bake numerous times and I have to keep making it again I just love it that much. Gnocchi is a huge comfort food for me, the soft squishy pillows of potato are the best thing since sliced bread.

Combine that with the dijony-creamy sauce and crispy bread crumbs and you, sir, have yourself a winning dish.

Garlic and Kale Gnocchi Bake    serves 4 *recipe adapted from ABM

Gnocchi Bake 3

Ingredients: 1/2 a bunch of kale leaves stripped, 3 Garlic cloves crushed, 400g gnocchi, 2 tbsp olive oil, 3 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons flour, 2 tablespoons mustard (I used Dijon), 1 cup milk, 1/4 cup vegetable stock, 1 + 1/4 cup shredded cheese, 2/3 cup Panko bread crumbs.

1. Rinse and strip the kale off the stalks and set aside.
  2. In a medium sized pot heat olive oil and fry garlic until fragrant for 1-2 minutes. Add kale and cook for further 3-4 minutes or until kale has turned bright green. Remove to a plate.
  3. In the same pot melt the butter. Whisk in the flour until a gravy/paste starts to form. Add the mustard then whisk in milk and stock. Once all combined add the 1/2 of the cheese (slowly) and continue to whisk so it starts to melt together.
  4. Whilst making the cheese sauce add another pot filled with salted boiling water for gnocchi.  Once water is boiling add the gnocchi and cook for 2-3 minutes. Once all the gnocchi floats it is ready.
  5. Strain the gnocchi and add the gnocchi, kale and sauce into a baking dish. Stir and top with the remaining cheese and bread crumbs. Bake at 200deg cel for 10-15 minutes. The edges should begin to bubble. Remove and enjoy!

I am not sure why I love gnocchi so much but hey, each to their own. This is one of those recipes I am going to make forever and next time I am going to make my own gnocchi because it is SO much nicer.

Gnocchi Bake 2

Have you ever made your own gnocchi? Or have a different version of a Gnocchi Bake? Let me know in the comments below.

If you like this recipe or make it, let me know. You can tag #dtsblog on instagram, send me a picture on facebook or squish some into an envelope and post it to me!

Actually….. don’t do that last one. Stick with the other forms of communication please.

Have a wonderful day, Bec xo

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday September 29, 2014 at 8:37 am

Perfect! I made this for my partners parents coming over and it was suprisingly easy because the kale once sauteed can sit whist you do the sauce, then gnocchi takes no time to cook, the combine and you can have it in the oven before they arrive! I have made it with soy milk before and it was fine. Let me know how it goes, yum!

• Reply Daniela @ FoodrecipesHQ September 28, 2014 at 11:55 pm

I’ll have guests next week and I’m looking for some recipe inspiration. I want to make Italian food because this is the type of cuisine I’m more comfortable with. I want to make this recipe for my guests, it looks wonderful! Since one of my guests can’t digest cow’s milk I’ll use pecorino and soy milk.

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday September 15, 2014 at 9:23 am

Thanks Lucy! I want to make it again but I already made it twice last week haha.. Let me know when you do!

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday September 15, 2014 at 9:22 am

Thanks Caitlin, it’s a fav

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday September 15, 2014 at 9:22 am

It would still be absolutely delish without the kale plus you can add any veggie you like to this! Let me know when you do x

• Reply Lucy @ Bake Play Smile September 15, 2014 at 7:25 am

Gosh this looks lovely! I absolutely adore gnocchi and kale so this will be perfect. Bookmarked! Thanks!! xx

• Reply Caitlin September 14, 2014 at 6:39 pm

That really does look very yummy!

• Reply Rebecca Muzek September 14, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Ooh, this looks delish!
    I’m not much of a kale fan, but the cheese and breadcrumbs might just be enough to make it nice.
    I’ll definitely be giving this a go 🙂

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday September 13, 2014 at 1:17 pm

I know, I have onyl made my own once but thats the only way to go now in my eyes. Sooooo delicious! Thanks Caroline x

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday September 13, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Done, I’m on my way over to get you. Start packing your bags x

• Reply Caroline September 12, 2014 at 6:49 pm

I adore gnocchi! I’ve been making it fresh for years and when it’s done right it’s just the best! So filling too. This recipe looks a dream
    Caroline x

• Reply Patchwork Cactus September 12, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Can you please adopt me?

• Reply Bec November 5, 2014 at 4:28 pm

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday September 12, 2014 at 9:13 am

Yes It’s not the best but I love it so much I can’t help myself. If gnocchi is my guilty pleasure then I reckon I’m going alright!

• Reply Oddlylovely September 12, 2014 at 9:11 am

Oh yes! I absolutely love gnocchi, but often stay away from making it because it’s so heavy and not very healthy. Adding in kale is so brilliant!
    Cat

• Reply Ashley February 6, 2014 at 4:25 am

Oh, my gosh – this looks so delicious!

• Reply Lisa Barton-Collins February 5, 2014 at 11:45 am

Yum, looks delish! I saw this over on A Beautiful Mess and actually bought gnocchi yesterday to give it a go. Hope mine turns out as nice as yours looks!
    xx