Salads

Roast Cauliflower and Farro Salad

I have been on a hunt.. a hunt for Farro. Now, my hunt for Farro was hindered because I didn’t know this wonderful grain had a few names. Farro, freekeh, and emmer just to name a few! So after a bit of research I found out that they were all in fact the same thing and bought some Farro from the supermarket.

I had one mission in mind – to make a roast cauliflower and farro salad. I had one once upon a time and have been so eager to make this dish as it’s something a bit different, healthy, cheap and d.e.l.i.c.i.o.u.s.

I instantly fell for this chewy, nutty grain and its brown rice like texture and have vowed to never use white rice again. Lets see how that goes!

Roasted Cauliflower Farro salad serves 4 as side or 2 as main

roast cauliflower and farro salad

Ingredients: 1 head of cauliflower, 1 ½ cups of farro, 1 handful of spinach, olive oil, 1 lemon, 2 tbsp ground cumin, 2 cloves of crushed garlic, 1 tbsp chilli flakes and some sprouts or herbs to garnish. I added haloumi after

1. Preheat the oven at 200 deg. Cook the farro as per packet instructions. Its usually 1 cup farro to 5 cups water ratio, and takes about 45 minutes simmering on the stove.
  2. Whilst farro is cooking, cut the cauliflower into florets and place on a baking tray. Dust with sea salt, cumin and dried chilli flakes and roast for 20-25 minutes or until browned.
  3. When farro is cooked, drain and stir the crushed garlic through the farro with a drizzle of olive oil.
  4. Let the farro and the cauliflower cool, once cooled, mix the farro and cauliflower with the spinach in a large bowl. Season with salt, pepper, a drizzle of olive oil and squeeze half the lemon over the salad. Enjoy!

roast cauliflower and farro salad

Jackson came home and said ‘oh this would be great with grilled haloumi cheese’ and ran down and bought some (what an Angel). Roast Cauliflower and Farro Salad - my new number one go to salad! Delicious and healthyThe haloumi was grilled, seasoned with some lemon juice, mixed into the salad and eaten up before I could get a photo of the complete meal, so the photos are haloumi-less but it was the perfect addition to this salad.

For me, this is a perfect mel in itself but this salad would be delicious along side some grilled portobello mushrooms or fish. We took some to work for lunch the next day and it held fantastically.

This cauliflower and farro salad had quickly bumped up to number 1 and will be frequenting my kitchen often.

Have you ever cooked with Farro? Do you have any other farro recipes of tips? You know me, I love hearing from you!

Not into farro? Try my Israeli couscous or Quinoa salads below!

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday August 13, 2014 at 9:17 am

It was pretty yummy, thanks Melissa!

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday August 13, 2014 at 9:17 am

Thank you Rachel, and welcome! I hope you find some delicious recipes you love. x

• Reply Melissa @ An Impulse To Soar August 13, 2014 at 1:46 am

This looks AMAZING!

• Reply Rachel Gadiel August 12, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Wow, this looks delicious! I’m definitely going to give this a try and always on the lookout for healthy/vego recipes. Just discovered your blog + love it! xx

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday August 12, 2014 at 12:23 pm

It was delicious! Farro is my new favourite thing, I had ‘farotto’ last night.. farro risotto and it was all time! Thanks so much Emma x

• Reply Emma August 12, 2014 at 9:51 am

I’ve never had farro before either but am always intrigued by it. Your dish looks so obviously healthy but also really delicious (and I don’t generally eat a lot of cauliflower but love it roasted also, it makes it totally different to every other way of cooking it).
    Beautiful photos 🙂

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday August 12, 2014 at 8:15 am

As do I, it goes all nice and crispy!

• Reply Allison August 12, 2014 at 3:50 am

I love roasting cauliflower! It’s definitely my fave way to prepare it. And farro? Yum!

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday August 9, 2014 at 7:45 pm

I love cauliflower so much, cauliflower cheese is the best thing ever. This meal is slightly healthier however!

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday August 9, 2014 at 7:45 pm

I am so keen to make farotto, as the interwebs calls it. I will let you know how I go! And thank you for your kind words Louise!

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday August 9, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Thanks Carmen! It was my first time cooking with it and loved it! x

• Reply Pearl/Pretty Mayhem August 9, 2014 at 1:29 pm

I’ve never had farro before but you make it so yummy I might have to try it. I also love cauliflower so this sounds like a super delicious (and healthy) meal! x

• Reply Louise Rhodes August 9, 2014 at 9:26 am

Great photography! I’ve used Farro to make risotto with great results, it’s very versatile 🙂

• Reply Carmen ☼ August 8, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Yum! This looks almost too good to eat. I’ve actually never had farro before. I love seeing vegan & vegetarian recipes. :] // itsCarmen.com ☼