This crispy oven baked french fries recipe is a godsend and a frequent visitor to my kitchen. It’s not the healthiest of recipes, but in my life potato fries/chips are sometimes needed. These chips are baked not fried so that’s a start. There are simple, quick and make a great side dish to almost anything.
I made them alongside roast vegetables (pumpkin, capsicum, carrot and green beans) and together they made a perfect Sunday roast (minus the meat!). I even saved some gravy for chip dunking, now that was a good time for all.
I’m going to get straight into the recipe as brain not functioning today. Me speak can’t good. Do you ever get those days?
Oven Baked Potato Chips w/ herbed sea salt
Crispy, salty, herby and I drizzled mine with some Chipotle Aoli (best thing ever) and Jackson had onion gravy.
If you love the idea of oven baked chips but would prefer sweet potato to normal potato, I also have a recipe for sweet potato chips – here.
Question: Skins on or off? and favourite seasoning for roast potatoes?
- 4 russet potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil, sea salt
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped chives
- sauce of your choise (I used chipotle aoli)
- Pre heat the oven to 180 deg. Wash potatoes thoroughly and keep skins on (I like them on – up to you)
- Chop potatoes into French fry sized sticks. About the size of your pinky finger
- Arrange on a baking tray so all of the fries are flat. They all need their baking space!
- *Side note, I used a pizza tray because they have holes so the fries got heat on both sides. It makes for a crispier chip, if you just have a normal baking tray you have to remove an rotate half way through*
- Season with a drizzle of olive oil, sprinkle of sea salt and some fresh chopped rosemary.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until crispy and to your taste. (remove half way and turn over)
- Remove, season again with a sprinkle of sea salt, fresh rosemary and chopped chives. Have some aoli, gravy or tomato sauce ready and voila, healthy oven baked fries are ready to go.