Other Savoury Salads

Crumbed Asparagus with Rocket and Lemon

For unknown reasons, crumbed things bring me so much comfort. If something can be crumbed and fried, you can count on me to do it. I wrote this post as a guest post for Ronsley’s Bond Appetit blog but thought I’d share it with you guys, too.

Crumbed Asparagus 1

As I mentioned in a previous post, asparagus is in season. It’s often said that asparagus marks the start of spring so whilst the countdown starts, here is a recipe to go with! It’s simple, fresh and can be an awesome appetizer, side or salad.

It’s the perfect balance of healthy (lots of asparagus) and comfort (crumbed) and you can add it to a bed of rocket and make a salad with it or have it on its own with some hollandaise or dijonaise.

Crumbed asparagus spear salad. Serves 2 as side or 1 as main

Crumbed Asparagus 2

Ingredients: 1 bunch of asparagus, lemon, ½ a red onion, 1 egg, 1 cup breadcrumbs, 1 tbsp rosemary, salt, a small handful of parmesan cheese, olive oil, spinach OR rocket and greek yoghurt/dijonnaise/hollandaise sauce/aoli.

*Paper towels are also a good idea for this meal.

1. Trim and blanche asparagus (boil for 3-4 minutes until bright green then immediately remove from heat into a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking process and prevent over-cooking)
  2. Whisk the egg and pour on a plate, on another plate pour the 1 cup of breadcrumbs, rosemary, salt and half of the parmesan cheese. Mix
  3. Remove the asparagus spears from the water, dry off with a paper towel and get ready to crumb!
  4. Coat the spear of asparagus in egg, then crumbs, then egg, them crumbs (I do it twice so my crumbing is extra thick) then place them on a paper towel, ready to fry.
  5. Once all your spears have been crumbed, heat 1cm oil in a fry pan over a medium heat. Once the oil it hot hot hot, a few at a time, shallow fry your asparagus until the crumbs look golden brown. Turn every 30 seconds to 1 minute and when whole spear looks golden brown remove and place on a fresh paper towel.*tongs are good for this
  6. When all asparagus’s (asparagi?) have been fried and are sitting on the paper towel, arrange some rocket/spinach and thinly sliced red onion on a plate, top with a few spears, a grating of parmesan and a squeeze of lemon.
  7. Serve with greek yoghurt, dijonnaise, hollandaise sauce or aoli and enjoy!

What are you most excited about for spring? Or a seasonal vegetable you reccomend I should cook with?

If you like this recipe, or any of the recipes below please feel free to share on faeebook , instagram or snail mail. Tag #dtsblog – I Love seeing what people have made!

If this meal isn’t for you, maybe my Baked Primavera Risotto appeals.

Bec xo

• Reply barb January 20, 2015 at 3:36 pm

I found your blog while poking thru Pinterest. I came upon this recipe because of your usage of the word crumbed. I was intrigued and now I’m hooked on your blog. Great photos…………..you had me at eggs on every
    thing.

We brunch a lot and enjoy crustless quiches or frittatas with the addition of a veggie or two in season.

thanks for the recipe for I shall be crumbing asparagus soon as it is just coming into season here in Southern Arizona USA

• Reply Bec January 20, 2015 at 4:42 pm

Oh wonderful! It’s just so delicious and comforting due to the crispy crumbs. Thanks for your kind words. I haven’t made a fritata in forever so you’ve inspired me to make one! Thank you

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday September 2, 2014 at 11:19 am

I’d give it a week or so hopefully it’s the cheapest freshest thing in there soon! Same with me, I just love it steamed with a drizzle of lemon juice.

• Reply Liz @ I Spy Plum Pie September 2, 2014 at 9:52 am

Yum! I love asparagus and I’m so excited it’s back in season (although I’m yet to see any local asparagus at the fruit & vege shop, booo). I’ll eat it no matter how it’s cooked but I definitely wouldn’t say no to it crumbed and fried!

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday August 29, 2014 at 4:19 pm

It’s pretty delicious, and still failry healthy. Let me know when you do! x

• Reply House in Tillford August 29, 2014 at 3:28 pm

I too get joy out of crumbed and fried goodies. But I haven’t seen asparagus cooked like that before, will have to try it!

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday August 28, 2014 at 1:59 pm

I tried to pass this as a ‘salad’ haha. If its still green it’s okay – thats my rule.

• Reply Nicole August 28, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Damn you. Don’t be putting fried vegetables in my blog-feed. Evil temptress

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday August 28, 2014 at 11:23 am

But I shallow fry them x

• Reply Katie August 28, 2014 at 11:12 am

You’ve very easily convinced me haha! Cooking task for this weekend!

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday August 28, 2014 at 11:08 am

I have made them a few times – MAKE THEM, THEY ARE SOOOOOO GOOD. I am now going to make them on the weekend because I can’t get them outta my mind. Just make sure you use panko bread crumbs from the adian foods section.

• Reply Katie August 28, 2014 at 11:06 am

That sounds amazing! I am also in the pro-crumbing/fried club. I’ve seen recipes for fried/crumbed avocado which I am super keen to try…

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday August 28, 2014 at 10:57 am

I did it for the crumbs ;). It was actually really tasty with the crumbs, aoli lemon etc. x

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday August 28, 2014 at 10:57 am

I agree, hence the crumbing, saucing and squeeze of lemon. Its so tasty though. Thanks for commenting Carmen!

• Reply Oddlylovely August 28, 2014 at 10:50 am

You know I’m not normally a fan of asparagus, but I’ll bet I’d like this! That crumbly outside looks delicious. Plus everything tastes better with hollandaise sauce or aoli, haha.
    Cat

• Reply Carmen ☼ August 28, 2014 at 10:06 am

Loooks taaaaAaasty. I have a hard time making asparagus taste good. I like the whole crumb idea. :] // itsCarmen.com ☼ ☯