Cooking Food and Drink Italy Travel

Travelling cheaply (and deliciously)

I mentioned that I have been staying in Air Bnb for my accommodation whilst in Europe.  For those of you who don’t know Air BnB, it is a website for people to rent out their apartments or houses. I have stayed in over 25 apartments all over Europe, including some farm houses and a medieval tower in Tuscany!

Not only is it extremely well priced, but it provides me with the opportunity to cook with the local produce in the area that I am staying.

saving money when traveling

Jackson and I did the whole hotel/motel/guest house/backpackers in towns that didn’t have appropriate Air BnB accommodation. There were no cooking facilities available and we ate way too many 2 minute noodles and ready made meals. We did not want to eat out 3 times a day, it gets expensive when you are away for 5 months plus I wanted to embrace the food and culture that these cities had to offer.

saving money when traveling

I have been cooking using fresh local produce, taking tips off the locals on what to buy (an amazing Italian woman basically chose our whole dinner the other night) and some times it is nice to be able to still make food yourself when you are overseas.  Especially when you find so much new food inspiration around you, I mean look at these TINY VEGETABLES!?!

saving money when traveling

Don’t get me wrong.. I have eaten out ALOT. I think I have had 6 pizzas, 8 pastas, cheese fondue and all of the delicious things I can get my hands on; however we have been loving going to the markets or delicatessens and choosing stuff for dinner.. and having the freedom to do that. Staying in an Air BnB apartment gives me that freedom.

saving money when traveling

You have the option of staying in a hosts spare room but I always just search for whole apartments available. You meet your host when you get to the apartment, get a quick tour and then make yourself feel at home. I have had 2 out of 28 experiences that were a bit of a pain, but that happens with anything.

saving money when traveling

Looking at the food I have been making, I am obviously in Italy and just loving the food the country has to offer, taking full advantage of the cheap price of fresh mozzarella.

saving money when traveling

Have you ever used Air BnB? If so did you enjoy it and did you make a delicious meal?  If you want the recipes to any of the above meals, let me know in the comments below.

Do you have any other travel tips to help save a bit of money? Let me know in the comments below!

xR

• Reply Carly Caman June 26, 2015 at 7:04 am

I have only used Air Bnb once but it was fantasic and I’d do it again. All that food looks unreal, you are really making the most of all that lovely Italian produce.

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday October 6, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Thanks Mel! I do too πŸ™

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday October 6, 2014 at 3:14 pm

I love air bnb too – I will never stay in anything else! WHAT YOU WENT TO JERUSALEM – SO jealous. I saw an amazing doco on Jerusalem and almost went home and packed my bag and went. It looks spectacular. Will do – it’s in the calendar!

• Reply Mel Chambers October 6, 2014 at 3:05 pm

OMG – the food looks amazing!I want to eat it all right now!

• Reply Talia October 6, 2014 at 1:25 pm

I LOVE airbnb. Seriously, it’s the best. We almost always stay in airbnb places now. πŸ™‚
    I made a really nice gnocchi when we were in Jerusalem, and love being able to go to the markets to pick up local produce and making something back at home. πŸ™‚
    Thanks for linking up with Wanderlust! We’re going to linkup on the first Wednesday of each month, so put it in your calendar!!

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday October 5, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Oh the Berlin street food.. drooool

• Reply Lydia C Lee October 5, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Nice food shots – I prefer restaurants but sometimes those markets are so tempting! The fresh produce is amazing! In Berlin, the kebaps are packed with roasted vegetables, and taste amazing!

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday October 3, 2014 at 3:31 pm

No other way to put it!

• Reply Sophia October 3, 2014 at 9:49 am

Oh my! What a delicious journey.

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday October 2, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Do it do it, it’s so delicious I could (have) eat it on bread alone.

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday October 2, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Couldn’t have said it better myself Joyce!

• Reply Joyce October 2, 2014 at 5:55 am

Airbnb is awesome! You get such prime locations at the fraction of the hotel price, and if you can cook, you definitely can cut the food budget in half. I do really enjoy staying in hostels when in Europe, though, so I can meet people and hear their stories πŸ™‚
    Characters & Carry-ons

• Reply Toni October 1, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Oh my, that food all looks absolutely fabulous. I love fresh local produce but you’re right it is normally so hard to prepare in holiday accommodation. Oh and that balsamic reduction sounds amazing – I am going to google a recipe right now.

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday October 1, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Where ever there is an Airbnb apartment, I will stay there!

• Reply Toushka Lee October 1, 2014 at 11:49 am

I have heard such good things about Air BnB. All these photos made me hungry. Yum!

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday July 28, 2014 at 9:00 pm

That wounds amazing Katie! It’s the reason I love it, the people and the places you stay hold experiences you wouldn’t get in hotels. Portugal is next on my hit list!

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday July 28, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Agnese – looking back at this post, I must have turned slightly Italian! Thank you for your kind words xo

• Reply Katie July 23, 2014 at 1:09 pm

I love Air BnB – I stayed in an amazing little apartment in Lisbon with 2 friends. It was like something out of a travel book – tiny place above a coffee shop run by the owners – a little old Portuguese man.

• Reply Agnese July 22, 2014 at 9:13 pm

But…but…this is my country!
    Omg, i’m so glad you “felt home” here in Italy πŸ™‚
    Food looks stunning, are you becoming a little italian? πŸ˜‰
    Can’t wait for you to tell us something more about this Air BnB experience!

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday July 22, 2014 at 10:04 am

o0o0o Homeaway – I will have to check that out! So kind as per usual Nancy <3

• Reply Neatly-Packaged (@Neatly_Packaged) July 22, 2014 at 6:48 am

I have been looking into Air Bnb for a while! I found Homeaway.com works just as well too! πŸ™‚ Your pictures are gorgeous!

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday July 20, 2014 at 7:44 am

I couldn’t not take advantage of all the cheese and pasta (and wine) around me!

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday July 20, 2014 at 7:42 am

Aw shucks! I just love cooking. Have a look at Air BnB, it’s got some great little apartments

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday July 20, 2014 at 7:42 am

It’s a balsamic reduction, which is balsamic vinegar with sugar. You boil it on the stove and then when it cools down it is syrupy and a tad sweeter – it’s a family tradition. I can email you the recipe? x

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday July 20, 2014 at 7:39 am

It’s a great way to travel, I think anyway! and Thank youuuuuu xo

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday July 20, 2014 at 7:39 am

Thank you! I will chuck up a similar recipe soon πŸ™‚

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday July 19, 2014 at 9:18 am

Yeah give it a go for sure, it’s great!

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday July 19, 2014 at 9:18 am

It’s a balsamic reduction – a family recipe (you just boil balsamic vinegar with sugar then let it cool an it gos all syrupy and perfect for drizzling!

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday July 19, 2014 at 9:17 am

It’s so great, the people you meet and the cool places you stay in are worth it! Thank you πŸ™‚

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday July 19, 2014 at 9:17 am

It’s a great way to travel Europe, and thank you I will make it again and put the recipe up πŸ™‚

• Reply Patchwork Cactus July 16, 2014 at 8:36 pm

I am sitting under a nanna blanket dying of jealousy and cold – that food, I’m pretty sure I can smell it. Slayed, dying, enjoy every minute darling.

• Reply Georgia July 15, 2014 at 9:41 am

AHHHH give me all that foooooooooooooooooood!

• Reply Fairlie July 13, 2014 at 4:19 pm

That’s the real benefit of staying in apartment accommodation – being able to eat like locals do, rather than like tourists do!It looks like you’re doing a great job of cooking up an Italian storm.

• Reply Piper July 12, 2014 at 8:44 am

Your meals look so yummy! I’m feeling hungry now! You must be fantastic cook! Thanks for mentioning about Air BnB, I now know where to stay when we go travelling! ^^

• Reply Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella July 11, 2014 at 6:17 pm

We used Airbnb once recently and it was great! No complaints at all πŸ˜€

• Reply Nicole July 11, 2014 at 12:46 pm

This all looks amazing. That is exactly how I would want to travel too. Is that balsamic in the first pic? It looks so thick and syrupy- just devine

• Reply Amber Roche July 11, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Wow what an amazing trip and I love this idea. I’ve only stayed with AirBnB a few times but it was always great. Your food looks amazing!!!

• Reply ~ Carmen ~ July 11, 2014 at 9:11 am

I’m so glad you mention Air BnB, so I can utilize this for my next travel abroad. Your couscous meal looks mouthwatering. :] // itsCarmen.com ☼