Pastas/Bakes Vegetarian

Lentil Bolognese

For 2 (or so) years of my teenage life, lets say around 13-15, all I ate was Spaghetti Bolognese. I just could not get enough. It was comforting, delicious and I had a borderline obsession.

Fast forward 8 years and I had forgotten all about this dish, due to becoming a vegetarian. How terrible is that?!  All those years I have missed out on crucial Spaghetti Bolognese eating.
*side note – I am being over dramatic

Lentil Bolognese recipe

Jackson’s Mum said to me one day.. “You have to make it with Lentils instead of Mince!” A light bulb moment went off in my mind, some quick google searches were done and yes she was right – all I had to do was replace the mince with 2 cans of 80c Lentils. That one move made this dish so easy, so cheap and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Lentil Bolognese – serves 4

Lentil Bolognese recipe

Ingredients: 2 x 400gm tins lentils, 3 carrots, 1 onion, 1 clove of garlic, 1 can diced tomato, 80gms of tomato paste, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 jar of pasta sauce or passata, dash of red wine, pinch or oregano, spaghetti (I used angel hair) and parmesan cheese to garnish.

1. Dice onion and garlic, grate the carrots and rinse and drain the lentils. Set all aside.
  2. In a large fry pan heat some olive oil and cook the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes or until fragrant over a medium heat.
  3. Add the rinsed/drained lentils and grated carrot and stir the onion through
  4. Add the tomato paste and passata and stir until all is combined.
  5. Add a dash of red wine and stir through, letting the Bolognese simmer on a low heat. Start boiling your pasta water in a large saucepan.
  6. When water has boiled, add a dash of salt and cook your spaghetti. Whilst spaghetti is cooking just simmer the Bolognese. Add the tbsp of sugar and oregano.
  7. When pasta is cooked – drain and mix a dash of olive oil through the pasta and serve with Bolognese on top and a sprinkle of freshly grated parmesan. Enjoy!

Lentil Bolognese recipe

This was delicious if I don’t say so myself! I made it for 2 friends of mine and they silently agreed with the sounds of happy eating one cold winters night last week.

Have you ever made this recipe before? Or have any other epic lentil substitution meals? Let me know in the comments below, I love hearing from you guys!

I am finally settling back in from being away – who thought it would be so hard after a 21 day trip away? Maybe I’m just being a sook because I have the flu. Maybe I caught a man flu off Jackson? That would make more sense..

Have a wonderful day

x Bec

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday August 14, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Thankyou! And yes, this is as glamorous as lentils get, damn delicious though! Thanks for commenting.

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday August 14, 2014 at 9:49 pm

I have been soooooo wanting to try the one pot recipe, every time I go to make paste I forget it! Thats it… There is now a post it note on my fridge reminding me to try the one pot recipe. Thank you!

• Reply Daniela @ FoodrecipesHQ August 2, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Lentils instead of a vegetarian mince sounds like a cool idea. I actually prefer when I can use raw ingredients! Pasta and lentils is a very popular dish in southern Italy, we usually cook it as “one-pot recipe” so everything get mixed up and cooked at the time in the same place, pasta included. Funny enough, Italians never thought of it in terms of vegetarian bolognese. Beautiful dish!

• Reply jehanne | The Cooking Doctor July 31, 2014 at 1:10 am

I would not have minded going meatless if it looks as gorgeous as this! You make lentil looks very glamorous, and happy to discover your lovely site 🙂

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday July 30, 2014 at 4:20 pm

It’s a great way to save money as lentils are so cheap! and stahp, you’re making me blush! hehe

• Reply Pearl/Pretty Mayhem July 30, 2014 at 3:49 pm

I’m not a vegetarian but I still love the idea of swapping mince for lentils, it looks so yummy and healthy! ps. your photos are always amazing x

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday July 30, 2014 at 11:21 am

Awww shucks, stop! Yeah I know right? Pasta is my go to comfort food plus its so cheap and easy. Of course – you know I love to share! x

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday July 30, 2014 at 11:20 am

I think it’s just so comforting as it is something you ate a lot as a child – are we onto something?!

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday July 30, 2014 at 11:19 am

I loved the dish with lentils, plus its oh so cheap. Let me know if you do Lucy, thanks for commenting x

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday July 30, 2014 at 11:18 am

I will give that a go next time – everyone has their own little tips when it comes to bolognese and I am looking forward to trying it with some soy sauce – thanks Justine x

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday July 30, 2014 at 11:18 am

o0o0o So I have heard Moni, I will have to grab some next time. Thanks for the tip!

• Reply Neatly-Packaged (@Neatly_Packaged) July 30, 2014 at 3:33 am

I absolutely love all your recipes! Anything with pasta has my name on it :)Thank you for sharing!! 🙂

• Reply Debra July 30, 2014 at 12:43 am

I too had an obsession with bolognese as a kid and my son loves any kind of pasta with tomato sauce. I’m loving this idea, makes a great alternative to mince.

• Reply Lucy @ Bake Play Smile July 29, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Yum! I love lentils – such a great way to have bolognese! I can’t wait to try your version out. xx

• Reply Justine de Jonge July 29, 2014 at 7:12 pm

Lentil bolognese is the best! I have a similar recipe that I make regularly. The recipes asks for a bit of soy sauce which gives the sauce an even fuller flavour. Yum! 🙂

• Reply Moni July 29, 2014 at 10:29 am

Try adding some celery with the carrot too… it adds a delicious flavour!