For 2 (or so) years of my teenage life, lets say around 13-15, all I ate was Spaghetti Bolognese. I just could not get enough. It was comforting, delicious and I had a borderline obsession.
Fast forward 8 years and I had forgotten all about this dish, due to becoming a vegetarian. How terrible is that?! All those years I have missed out on crucial Spaghetti Bolognese eating.
*side note – I am being over dramatic
Jackson’s Mum said to me one day.. “You have to make it with Lentils instead of Mince!” A light bulb moment went off in my mind, some quick google searches were done and yes she was right – all I had to do was replace the mince with 2 cans of 80c Lentils. That one move made this dish so easy, so cheap and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Lentil Bolognese – serves 4
Ingredients: 2 x 400gm tins lentils, 3 carrots, 1 onion, 1 clove of garlic, 1 can diced tomato, 80gms of tomato paste, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 jar of pasta sauce or passata, dash of red wine, pinch or oregano, spaghetti (I used angel hair) and parmesan cheese to garnish.
- Dice onion and garlic, grate the carrots and rinse and drain the lentils. Set all aside.
- In a large fry pan heat some olive oil and cook the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes or until fragrant over a medium heat.
- Add the rinsed/drained lentils and grated carrot and stir the onion through
- Add the tomato paste and passata and stir until all is combined.
- Add a dash of red wine and stir through, letting the Bolognese simmer on a low heat. Start boiling your pasta water in a large saucepan.
- When water has boiled, add a dash of salt and cook your spaghetti. Whilst spaghetti is cooking just simmer the Bolognese. Add the tbsp of sugar and oregano.
- When pasta is cooked – drain and mix a dash of olive oil through the pasta and serve with Bolognese on top and a sprinkle of freshly grated parmesan. Enjoy!
This was delicious if I don’t say so myself! I made it for 2 friends of mine and they silently agreed with the sounds of happy eating one cold winters night last week.
Have you ever made this recipe before? Or have any other epic lentil substitution meals? Let me know in the comments below, I love hearing from you guys!
I am finally settling back in from being away – who thought it would be so hard after a 21 day trip away? Maybe I’m just being a sook because I have the flu. Maybe I caught a man flu off Jackson? That would make more sense..
Have a wonderful day