Last Sunday I had dinner at a friends house, Tilly and Yuksel. When I arrived they were busy in the kitchen and the house smelt amazing. I had never had Potato and Leek soup before, but after this I was hooked.
I have never made soup from scratch at home either so on a particular cold and gloomy Monday I decided to fill my little apartment with the smell of a comforting soup with some toasted bread.
I did well, if I can say that about myself. I had timed it perfectly so as Jackson walked in the door there was a delicious, creamy soup with toasted ciabatta waiting for him (don’t worry.. he only gets that treatment once a week).
Potato, Leek and Broccoli soup w/ toasted ciabatta serves 4
Ingredients: 3-4 potatoes, 2 leeks (only use white parts), 1 broccoli, 1 onion, 1 clove of garlic, 4 tbsp veggie stock powder or 1L veggie stock, 2-3 tbsp ground cumin, 100mls crème, knob of butter, chives to garnish, olive oil and a large enough pot
- Dice onion and garlic. Over medium heat fry in large pot with butter until fragrant, should be 2-3 minutes. Add sliced leeks for 2-3 minutes to soften.
- Dice the potatoes the size of a 20c piece. Add diced and peeled potatoes to pot and add 500mls of veggie stock/water with stock and turn heat up to full.
- Add the broccoli and ensure all vegetable are covered with stock and bring to the boil. Add the ground cumin and mix through.
- Let soup boil for 20-30 minutes until it starts to boil down and turn into a soup-like consistency.
- I used a potato masher to help it pulverize slightly or you could use a food processor.
- When soup is of the consistency you like, take off the heat and let cool slightly. Add crème, mix thoroughly and serve.
- Garnish with chopped chives, drizzle of crème and some fresh pepper. Enjoy!
Jackson said he ‘couldn’t fault it’ and was proud of my first soup attempt. It was an added bonus that the meal only cost $11 and it was ideal for a winters night. I loaded it up with broccoli as well for more nutrients and it went very well with the potato and leek.
Shout out to Tilly and Yuksel who introduced me to this beautiful thing that is potato and leek soup. I have left overs for work tomorrow which I am super excited for. What is your favourite soup combination?
I have a busy week this week. Filled with a bloggers catch up, spending time with my friends and my little sister coming down for the weekend and then next week I AM OFF TO EUROPE! To say I am extremely excited is an understatement.
What’s something you’re excited about? Or a winter warmer favourite of yours?