Cooking Pastas/Bakes

Making Pasta at home

I have a confession. My first interest in cooking was the TV show Ready, Steady Cook. (tacky, I know but no offence.. see you at 2pm) but watching the food media industry evolve in the last 10 years has caught my eye and I must say, I’m hooked.

Jamie Oliver is one Chef that I have always admired and however generic my fandom of Jamie is, he has some killer recipes.

I got a pasta maker for my birthday from my mum and have been itching to give it a go. So over the long weekend that’s what I did.  It was time consuming but also rewarding, cheap and fun.  Jackson had a Jamie Oliver cook book with step by step instructions – fate?

homemade pasta jamie oliver recipe

We spent the afternoon making dough and rolling sheets of pasta. Jackson pulled these super perfect dough kneading moves out of no where, I was seriously impressed. Has anyone made their own pasta before?

homemade pasta jamie oliver recipe

Jamie’s pasta recipe is basic, you can find it here and only requires 600gms Tipo 00 Flour and 6 eggs. I was surprised how easy it was to find the flour I needed! Score.

homemade pasta jamie oliver recipe

I don’t have any pictures of the actual rolling of the pasta because, it’s a very hands on activity and required 100% concentration for our first time. I made my own sauce to go with our tagliatelle (the thicker fettuccini) and voila, homemade pasta for dinner. It was tender and delicious and everything you’d expect home made paste to be.

homemade pasta 4

I made a sweet potato, broccoli and pesto sauce with fresh ricotta and basil. It was delicious. I boiled the sweet potato and broccoli down till it was able to be mashed. I mixed some pesto and olive oil through the mash and thats all it needed.

homemade pasta jamie oliver recipe

It was a day of learning new skills, making a mess everywhere and having fresh homemade pasta for dinner – that’s amore!

homemade pasta jamie oliver recipe

Would you enjoy making your own pasta?

If you are after the entire recipe, send me a line on rebeccassunday@gmail.com and I’ll send it across. I am going to give it a few more  attempts and hope to master this skill ASAP.

Bec xo

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday June 24, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Thank you Sandra! My camera was covered in flour.

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday June 15, 2014 at 11:49 am

It was fun and yes Jamie is my dude. Thanks 🙂

• Reply Sandra Okonek June 15, 2014 at 3:36 am

Great post! This photos are amazing!

• Reply Inna June 13, 2014 at 11:26 am

Oooh, that looks so yummy and fun! Making pasta definitely sounds like something I should try.
    Also, Jamie is super cool. 😉

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday June 13, 2014 at 8:58 am

I know! It’s just more textured, delicious and fun!

• Reply Amber Roche June 12, 2014 at 1:53 pm

This looks delicious! I think the difference between fresh pasta and dried is one of those things that you have to try to believe- it’s so much better it’s basically a different food!

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday June 12, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Hehe, Deal! I would love that 🙂

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday June 12, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Aw that is a shame – I used the exact flour he advised – Tipo ’00’ Flour from Woolworths! It did take a lot of time however so its a once in a while activity. xo

• Reply Nicole June 12, 2014 at 12:13 pm

I tried Jamie’s pasta recipe years ago when cooking wasn’t that fashionable yet and it was rubbish with ordinary flour. I just saw that you can get the strong flours in the supermarket (yesterday) and am terribly excited to have a go at really good pizza bases again- gave my pasta maker away sadly.

• Reply Neatly-Packaged June 12, 2014 at 11:25 am

Wow how cool is this!! I seriously want to spend like a week at your house. You cook and I buy all the groceries? 🙂 Deal? lol