My perfect weekend consists of a long lazy brunch at home sippin’ on tea wearing my fluffy bunny slippers and no plans until at least 2pm.
That hasn’t happened for a long time. I have been so busy as of late that I haven’t made anything but muesli or vegemite on toast! Some baked eggs were well overdue.
Baked eggs with Sourdough Soldiers serves 2 as main 4 as side
Remember when you were little and you used to eat boiled eggs and toast soldiers aka dippy eggs? This is a more fancy version of that!
Brunch food is my all time favourite so last Sunday morning I quickly whipped up these baked eggs with tomato, gooey mozzarella, beans, basil and crunchy sourdough soldiers with pesto. Yes, yes, yes. This made my day (and Jacko’s). Try making this, its super easy!
Ingredients: 1 tin bean mix, 1 400g tin diced tomatoes, 3-4 eggs, 1 onion, 100gms mozzarella cheese (or ricotta for a lighter version), 6 cherry tomatoes, basil to garnish, 3 tbsp pesto and loaf of sourdough.
- Preheat oven to 200deg cel. Dice onion and fry for 2-3 minutes until fragrant and cooked. Add the drained and rinsed beans and the tin of diced tomatoes.
- Stir over medium heat for another 2-3 minutes until mixed and warm. Add halved cherry tomatoes.
- Take fry pan off the heat and if fry pan is oven safe, continue to use. If not, transfer mixture to a oven safe dish like casserole dish.
- Create 3-4 wells (depending on amount of eggs) and carefully crack an egg into each well. Season with salt and pepper and place into oven for 6 minutes
- Remove after 6 minutes, add the mozzarella cheese and cherry tomatoes and bake for further 5-6 minutes. Keep an eye on the eggs during the last minute or two – they can over cook easily.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, toast your bread and enjoy!
I can’t even look at the pictures of this without daydreaming. It consisted of almost all my favourite breakfast foods in one. It started my day off with a bang and I hope this meal does the same to yours!
You could add some spinach and feta, chorizo instead of beans or top with some breadcrumbs and turn it into a bake. What would you add into this to make it your ultimate breakfast?
The only thing that I could have added to make this even better and that would be hash browns. mental note.. buy hashbrowns.
What’s something that you look forward to on the weekend?