Baking Cooking Other Savoury Snacks Vegetarian

Zucchini Bread

April 29, 2014

I was feeling very homey on the weekend and decided to bake. Now as I’ve stated before, baking isn’t my forte but practice makes perfect right?

I have never made bread or any bread-like thing before so I decided to make Zucchini Bread because well, it just sounds great. Plus you can sneak vegetables in there so its 1 of your 5, brilliant.

Off to the shops I went and bought some fresh zucchini and within 1 hour the house filled with the delicious smell of bread baking in the oven.  However; I would call this recipe more a zucchini slice as it didn’t rise as much as bread should do. It was deliciously moist and perfect with melted butter and a sprinkle of salt.

savoury zucchini bread recipe

Zucchini Bread        Makes 1 loaf

Ingredients: 2 medium zucchinis (about 330 grams), 1 tsp salt, 1 ½ cups flour, 1tbsp sugar, 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon paprika, 3 large eggs, 1/3 cup olive oil, 1 tbsp water, 1 sprig fresh thyme, 80grams cheddar/tasty cheese cubed.

1. Preheat oven to 350dg. Spread thin layer of olive oil into surface of 9’” x 5” pan. Remove ends of the zucchini and grate using cheese grater.
  2. Add the salt and mix through zucchini then drain in a strainer over the sink for 10 minutes. If you have paper towels, dab zucchini with paper towels also to soak up excess water
  3. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and paprika together
  4. In another bowl whisk the eggs, olive oil and 2tbsp water until it has emulsified, light and frothy.  Add the drained zucchini and thyme and combine with egg mixture
  5. Combine the egg mixture with the flour mixture and use a spatula to fold everything together. Be careful not to over-mix batter or the bread will become tough.
  6. Spread half the batter into your pan, add half the cheese, add the rest of your batter, top with the cheese and place pan in oven.
  7. Bake until a toothpick or a knife comes out clean (about 45-50 minutes). When zucchini bread is done, remove from oven and allow it to cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Then transfer to a rack and let it cool before slicing.

savoury zucchini bread recipe

I didn’t let it cool fully because I wanted the bread to still be warm enough for butter to melt and it was okay – a bit crumbly but still fine and delicious.

savoury zucchini bread recipe

This was great for breakfast the next morning I even toasted it and put some vegemite on it. It holds for about 3 days in the fridge or an airtight container so its perfect for snacking or making breakfast fancy.

Now that I have broken my bread baking virginity please leave recipes for me to try in the comments below!?

• Reply Ana February 2, 2015 at 11:11 am

Well I love zucchini and I love bread, so I’m guessing I will have to give this a go! Thanks for the recipe!

• Reply Bec February 6, 2015 at 11:48 am

It’s a great combo with some melted butter mmmm

• Reply peregrinationgourmande February 1, 2015 at 11:41 pm

Yummy, i love that. I so much like zucchinis. I’ll try that one once the first zucchinis appear (i ll have to wait to spring but…)
    xx
    cathy

• Reply Bec February 6, 2015 at 11:46 am

That’s okay – bookmark this recipe so come spring it’s ready to go 🙂

• Reply Lauren @ Create Bake Make January 30, 2015 at 11:49 pm

You look like a pretty good baker to me! I’ve been experimenting with bread recipes lately, so much better to make your own. Looking forward to trying this one soon. Thanks for linking up with us for Fabulous Foodie Fridays, have a great weekend.

• Reply Bec February 1, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Let me know if you come across a great recipe!!! I am sure you will. Thanks Lauren x

• Reply Rebecca @ Dorm Room Baker January 30, 2015 at 4:13 pm

That looks amazing! I’ve never tried savory zucchini bread before–only the dessert type. I’ll have to give it a go once it’s zucchini season in the States again :).

• Reply Bec January 30, 2015 at 5:22 pm

You must! The cheese is a great addition. I should totally try the sweet zucchini bread as I’ve only ever had savoury! x

• Reply Louise@WillungaWino January 30, 2015 at 11:03 am

Yummy! Zucchini are in season and abundant in the Vale at the moment. I’ll give this a try. Gorgeous piccies too by the way

• Reply Bec January 30, 2015 at 5:21 pm

Use those big beautiful zucchinis and create this! It’s perfectly summery. Thanks Louise 🙂

• Reply Danielle L January 29, 2015 at 9:30 pm

Not good at baking? I don’t think so! Zucchini bread is great, I love how many veggies you can get in it and it still tastes great.

• Reply Bec January 30, 2015 at 5:20 pm

This was one of my first successful baking adventures!

• Reply Malinda @mybrownpaperpackages January 29, 2015 at 9:11 pm

I love a good veggie spin on bread, this looks very tasty.

• Reply Bec January 30, 2015 at 5:19 pm

I’m all about hiding those veggies everywhere!

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday July 28, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Why thank you! I have a collection of similar plates they’re perfect for little things like this x

• Reply Lila June 10, 2014 at 11:09 am

That looks so fabulous, try City Hippy Farm Girl for bread related goodness, she’s a bit of a bread queen!

• Reply Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche May 6, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Oh my word this looks incredible! Sooo moist, love it! Pinning this one, definitely need to try it 🙂

• Reply Kristie-Ann May 6, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Wow, this looks amazing!! Me & my partner have been obsessed with zucchini lately, and I always love a good recipe to follow (otherwise I’m terrible with cooking haha). Definitely going to try this 🙂

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday May 2, 2014 at 1:45 pm

uh oh! add them to the next shopping list 🙂

• Reply MBPaperPackages April 30, 2014 at 7:20 pm

I just read this and decided I will make it tomorrow … only to realise that I used my last zucchini with tonights dinner.

• Reply Lucy @ Bake Play Smile April 29, 2014 at 8:12 pm

This looks so yumm! I love zucchini slice! Your plate is gorgeous too 🙂

• Reply Pearl/Pretty Mayhem April 29, 2014 at 6:58 pm

I’ve never tried zucchini bread before but it sure looks delicious! I’m adding this recipe to my ever-growing list of things to bake 🙂

• Reply Dancing Through Sunday April 28, 2014 at 5:01 pm

I did! It actually influenced me to make this but I was feeling something savoury so I removed chocolate, added cheese! Thank you!

• Reply Lizzy (Good Things) April 28, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Love the zucchini bread recipe! Yummy! Did you see my chocolate version?