The other night my friends and I went to a new restaurant in Fitzroy that has just opened, Smith & Daughters and had a Vegan Paella.
It was delicious and everything a paella should be and the presentation of the meal was so wonderful (check it out on my instagram) it inspired me to buy a skillet pan so I can make tasty baked rice dishes!
I strolled down to the kitchen shop i’ve been frequenting and bought myself my first skillet. The appeal of these pans is they can be used on the stove top or in the oven so it adds an extra method of baking/frying to your meal. Anyway.. of topic! I seasoned my skillet with baked Primavera Risotto.
Baked Primavera Risotto w/ roasted tomato and asparagus serves 4
Ingredients: 2 1/2 cups of aborio rice, 1 onion, 2 cloves of garlic, knob of butter, 700mls of veggie stock,1 cup of peas, a handful of fresh basil leaves, 4 mushrooms, 1 lemon, 1 tomato, 1 bunch of asparagus, handful of parmesan, I also used 1/2 cup of boccochini cheese.
- Prepare all vegetables. Dice Onion, Garlic, Mushrooms. Slice tomato into 1cm slices (these are just for the top) and trim asparagus.
- In your skillet (or fry pan) heat the knob of butter until golden and then fry onion and garlic for 2 minutes until fragrant and onion goes clear. In another fry pan bring your vegetable stock to boil. Preheat oven to 200deg
- Once onion and garlic is ready, add rice to frypan and mix the onion garlic and butter in for 1 minutes just so rice can absorb flavour. Then slowly start working the stock in. Pour some stock, stir until rice has absorbed, Pour stock, stir until absorbed, repeat for 10 minutes until rice is almost cooked.
- Add mushrooms and peas and the last bit of stock. Add your finely chopped basil, squeeze the juice of 1/2 a lemon and mix in most of your handful of parmesan cheese (keep a little for seasoning)
- Pour a little amount of stock into the bottom of the skillet, pat down, place tomato on top, place asparagus (seasoned with s&p) remove from heat and place in oven for 10 -12 minutes. Be careful – 1. skillet pans get extremely hot. 2. any normal fry pan cannot go in oven the plastic will melt. If you are using a normal pan, this is just good ole risotto don’t bake it unless you have an oven proof dish.
- Remove, top with cheese, an extra squirt of lemon and s&p and serve!
A behind the scenes picture of what I have to do to get a good food shot these days. Its getting dark at 5.30pm so I have to take it outside for the optimum natural light. Jackson is oh so patient but hey look what he gets in return eh?
Now that I have this, and the nights are getting chilly I need ideas for yummy winter meals feat. my new pan. Throw them this way!
Whats another killer risotto dish? (I bought a lot of rice.. a lot..) OR anything else I can cook in my skillet?